5 Ingredient Recipes - A Collection of Quick and Easy Heart Healthy Recipes
posted by Research Admin 1 on 31 January 2020
The Australian Heart Foundation, January, 2020
The Heart Foundation is dedicated to fighting the single biggest killer of Australians – heart disease. For over 50 years, we have led the battle to save lives and improve the heart health of all Australians. Our vision is an Australia free of heart disease and our mission is to prevent heart disease and improve the quality of life of all Australians through our work in prevention, support and research.
Poor diet is the leading risk factor for heart disease and there is a widespread misconception that most Australians follow a healthy diet, when in reality, the majority of adults are not meeting the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
Ensuring that our meals are both nutritious and tasty doesn’t have to be complicated. While only using 5 key ingredients the following recipes are quick and easy to make and align with the Heart Foundation’s Heart Healthy Eating Patterns.
The Heart Foundation’s Heart Healthy Eating Patterns are to eat:
• Plenty of vegetables, fruits and wholegrains
• A variety of healthy protein sources especially fish and seafood, legumes (such as beans and lentils), nuts and seeds. Smaller amounts of eggs and lean poultry can also be included in a heart healthy diet. If choosing red meat, make sure the meat is lean and limit to 1-3 times a week
• Unflavoured milk, yoghurt and cheese. Those with high blood cholesterol should choose reduced fat varieties
• Healthy fat choices with nuts, seeds, avocados, olives and their oils for cooking
• Herbs and spices to flavour foods, instead of adding salt
To download the recipes, click here